Thursday, April 25, 2013

Teaching Money


I didn't write this poem and I'm not sure who did, BUT I like it!  Sing it to the tune of "Skip to my Lou" or just recite it.  You could easily just end after the quarter verse if you prefer.  

We did something the kids really enjoyed that would work for auditory, kinesthetic, and visual learners.  My kids know the song pretty well, but are still working to identify the names of the coins correctly.  SO, today we got out each coin while we sang the song, as well as a piece of paper with each coin amount on it.  As we sang the song, we would hold up the coin, and then the number of cents for each coin with the appropriate lyric.  It was fun, hands on, and instructive.  They asked to do it again later in the day.

 Happy homeschooling!
MONEY POEM

Penny, penny, easy spent,
Copper brown and worth one cent.

Nickel, nickel, thick and fat,
You’re worth 5. I know that.

Dime, dime, little and thin,
I remember—you’re worth 10.

Quarter, quarter, big and bold,
You’re worth 25, I am told.

Half a dollar, half a dollar,
Giant size.
50 cents to buy some fries.

Dollar, dollar, green and long,
With 100 cents you can’t go wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! FUN song!! I LOVE using 'songs' to help learn and remember things!! It's SOOO effective!! Even at MY age, that is how I remember all the books in the Book of Mormon in order!! (to the tune of 10 little Indians!!)

    ReplyDelete