Saturday, September 1, 2012

Bless Art!

We have had a SUPER fun week this week, thanks to some fun art time in the kitchen.  You'll notice all the kids look ecstatically happy in all the pictures! :)  It has just been so, so fun to see them enjoy creating and I never want to stop.
I put some flour in the cake pans and each of the 3 children drew pictures and practiced letters in the flour.  It reminded me of a Tao art thing I saw in a store before that erases your picture after a minute or so....we are practicing the art of not being attached to your art.   ;)  We are saving the flour in a Tupperware container so we can use the same flour next time.

Handprints

I got the next idea from a friend.  This was SO cool, and I highly recommend it!  You just need some kind of pan, whole milk, food coloring, tooth picks, small cups and dish soap.  We started out just with the milk and food coloring, stirring around the colors with toothpicks.  I guided them so their color combinations would not make brown.  That in itself was cool and made some beautiful designs.
After the kids played like that for a few minutes I put a few drops of dish soap in a dixie cup for each kid and they dipped their toothpicks in it.  It was SO cool to see how the colors and designs reacted.

I think this was the one "Spiderman" thought looked like a dragon.

This is "Robin's".

"Superman's" did end up a little muddy colored, but still cool.
Here the kids and I were dying some pasta with vinegar and food coloring.  We may need to have a year supply of food coloring if we keep this up!  Here they are each filling their own bags of pasta.

                            Adding a couple Tbsp of vinegar to each bag, that the kids would then squeeze around to distribute onto all the pasta.
Super Baby was happy just playing with the box and watching his brothers.
We'll probably use the Rigatoni pastas for stringing on jewelry and practicing patterns.  So much better than a worksheet on patterns right!?
      We added some food coloring to each bag and squished it around again to distribute.
They crack me up.
I decided that some of the pasta was a little soggy from a touch too much vinegar, so we'd better put them out on paper towels or they would never dry.  It worked out pretty good, but I think I'll look for a different method, like letting them dye over night or something next time to get more vibrant colors.  Also it was hard to cover the curly noodles.  I do think the curly ones could make some fun noodle art faces and hair though. ;)
Who wouldn't want to be around these little happy faces all week!?
Bless art, my husband for working so I can be a stay at home mama, and the choice we have made to homeschool!

2 comments:

  1. Omgosh Am! I am so proud of you! And your boys! How wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well HOLY COW AND WOW Ms. Superwoman!! Looks SOOOO fun!! They all look so happy and excited and YOU sound so happy and excited!! Can't beat that!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete